Serving in the Mississippi Jackson Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Any day, anytime we can call on the powers of Heaven for divine help and hope...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!:D

Not much has happened since Christmas. I wish I could have talked to ya'll longer:( If I was given the choice I would have chose talking with ya'll all day over presents or anything else. I only have a few really short stories to tell.  First off, a few days ago I became a Disney Princess :D Me and Sister Williams were knocking doors and we found this little bird and it let us hold it.  In case ya'll don't believe me, I took a picture with it that I'm going to send ya'll. Guess what?! This week I got to hold a monkey too! :D We were knocking doors (again:D) and this guy opened the door. We did our little missionary spoil and than he told us that they had a monkey. We were like "For real?" And then he asked if we wanted to see it lol So that's how we got to hold a monkey :D

Last Saturday we went to see this guy named Carlos who we had a return appointment with, and the lesson went really well. He let us in his home and when we set down 6 other people came out. It was a little intimidating because I haven't taught that many people at once in awhile. We taught the Restoration and the Spirit was there in abundance. I got emotional a couple of times. You could tell the whole time we were talking that the Spirit was working on this family. At the end of the lesson we gave away three Book Of Mormons and they invited us to come back. We taught a total of 10 people at the same time :D It was a really cool experience and I'm excited to go back.

One thing I love about being a missionary is that I get to share my testimony with people everyday. And it's not really just sharing my testimony about Jesus Christ but his Restored Gospel. We have so many restored truths, and they bring so much joy in our lives. I used to think church was kinda boring and I didn't always want to go every Sunday. But now I love church and mainly because I've learned how important it is. Every week we get to renew our covenants with him so we can be clean and not just clean, but changed. Every week we can be spiritually fed and draw closer to him. There is such a wonderful and calming spirit you feel when you go to church, and I know I want that every week. I used to read my scriptures every once in a while. But now I've learned the joy you can feel as read the Book Of Mormon and the Bible. I love reading my scriptures and applying them to myself and receiving personal revelation. There have been several times on my mission so far that the scriptures have given me peace and strength. And I can say with completely honesty that if it wasn't for the scriptures I would not still be on a mission. Along with prayer, they give me the strength that I need every single day to press forward even if it's really hard. Last week there was one day when I was having a really, really hard day. I didn't feel like working. I didn't feel any joy and I didn't understand why. That whole day I prayed and pleaded for Heavenly Father to help me and give me strength. I knew from what I've been taught and from what I've learned in the past nine months the best thing I could do was turn to the scriptures. I felt like I should look at my patriarchal blessing. There's a part in that I read that really help me through that day. It talks about how my faith will be tried and how if I rely on Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ they will give me peace and strength. And when darkness and discouragement come I will be worthy to have the arm of the Lord extended to me to give me comfort and direction. It also reminds me that the gospel is a thing of peace comfort, and joy. While I read that, I felt at peace and felt his love. And I knew everything was going to be ok and that through Heavenly Father's help I was going to make it through that day. And I did, but only because I did what I was taught growing up and he's given us those gifts so that when we struggle we can turn to him and have our spirits and souls spiritual food. Any day, anytime we can call on the powers of Heaven for divine help and hope and that, in itself, is a huge blessing. I love the gospel and I know I would truly be lost without it.  I've learned for myself that the only true joy we can found is found within Christ's gospel and doing the basics. When we live his gospel, not just talk about it, we can find joy and continual peace. We are given strength beyond our own and we can go through trials with hope and enthusiasm. I love the gospel and will always be so glad I decided to serve a mission :D

In answer to your question. Sister Williams is awesome and we get along great:D She's witty, talkative, and loves to tease but not in a mean way. Her last to companions were challenging for different reasons so she's really happy to have me for a companion even though I'm probably not much better :D I hope I'm with her another transfer, I would love that! Next Monday I'll let you know what's happening in regards to transfers.

I have to go but love ya'll and hope you have a great day! P.S. CTR~ remember who you are! The Church is true! :D

Another P.S. To everyone who sent me cards, packages, emails, and prayers. Thank you!!!! The cards, packages, emails, and prayers helped me a have a better Christmas away from my family, and I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with wonderful and amazing people in my life! Thank you so much (And for sending a little bit of home my way) and I can't wait to see ya'll in 8 in half months:D 

Love, Sister Keables